Terminating Your Marriage

You may terminate your marriage either by mutual agreement through a dissolution, or through a contested divorce.  In rare circumstances, usually for religious reasons, you may wish to live separate and apart without a divorce, yet formalize your legal duties to one another through a legal separation.  In even rarer circumstances, you may terminate your marriage through an annulment.
  • Depending on the type of case/motion you are filing, there are different filing fees.  For a list of filing fees, please click on the following link: Domestic Relations Court Fees.
  • Because issues in divorce and custody disputes are often highly contested, you may end up paying several thousand dollars in attorney’s fees.
  • The Medina County Bar Association offers a referral service where you can consult with an attorney for one-half hour for $25.  The telephone number for the Bar Association referral service is 330-725-9744.
  • If you decide to represent yourself, the Court has some checklists and forms available on the Rules and Forms page.
Courtroom Etiquette:

  • You must show proper respect to the Court and to all Court personnel.
  • You must remain quiet and be attentive in Court.
  • You should speak only when asked a question or when given an opportunity to speak.
  • You should wear formal or semi-formal attire to Court.
  • You should not wear hats, shorts, sandals, tank tops, miniskirts, tube tops, torn jeans, t-shirts, etc.
  • You must remove all facial piercings before coming to Court.
  • You must be punctual and arrive to Court on time.


  • The Court will hear your case, but cannot tell you how to prepare and/or what to present.
  • If your case is not presented according to the Rules of Evidence/Rules of Civil Procedure/Local Rules, the Court may never hear your side of the story.
  • Because this is such a complicated process that requires extensive legal knowledge, you may wish to consult an attorney.
  • It is usually a very expensive mistake to try to represent yourself.
  • The Court cannot and will not consider or act upon telephone calls, emails or letters.
  • If you would like the Court to consider something or order a particular result, you must bring it to the Court’s attention by preparing a written motion that is filed with the Clerk of Courts.
  • You should not file documents that contain highly sensitive matters (e.g., birth certificates, drug test results, guardian ad litem reports, tax returns, pay stubs, etc.) with the Clerk of Courts.  Instead, you must submit these documents to the Court’s confidential file.
  • Pursuant to Civil Rule 5(B), you must provide a copy of all motions/notices/documents that are filed to all other parties/attorneys in your case.
You must make full disclosure of all of your assets, no matter whose name they are in and/or their value.  This includes, but is not limited to, all of the following assets:

  • Real estate;
  • Motor vehicles, boats, and trailers;
  • Pensions and other retirement accounts (e.g., 401(k) and 403(b) accounts)
  • Profit sharing plans;
  • Bank accounts and brokerage accounts;
  • Stocks, bonds, and life insurance policies;
  • Any collection that has a monetary value, such as antiques, toys, sports memorabilia, coins, guns, etc.
  • Pending insurance claims and/or pending lawsuits; and,
  • Business interests.

You must also disclose all outstanding debts, including the amount owed and to whom they are owed. This includes, but is not limited to, all of the following debts:

  • Tax debts, including IRS, state and local;
  • Mortgages;
  • Car loans;
  • Student loans;
  • Credit cards and department store charge cards;
  • Unpaid medical and hospital bills;
  • Utility bills, and other bills that have been turned over to debt collectors.
When you have a children together, the court must insure that you have a written plan that spells out exactly how you are going to share the parenting time, as well as the obligations and costs of raising your children.

  • Sole Custody: One parent is the residential parent and legal custodian of the children, with the other parent having regular parenting time at specific times.
  • Shared Parenting: If you are able to work together on issues concerning your children, then you may be able to share parenting of your children as set forth in a specific shared parenting agreement.
  • Split Custody: Each parent is the residential parent and legal custodian of at least one child.  For example: your eldest child lives with you, but your youngest child lives with your ex-spouse.

Whether you are thinking about sole custody, shared parenting or split custody, the Court is obligated to consider the children’s best interest.

You must disclose to your to the other party (and she/he must disclose to you) your total gross income for the past 3 years, and provide supporting documentation (e.g., pay stubs, W2s, tax returns, etc).

  • Child Support: If you have children, you may be required to pay child support.  Your income is necessary for calculating child support.
  • Spousal Support: Depending on the length of your marriage and various other factors set forth in R.C. 3105.18(C), you may be required to pay spousal support.  Your income is necessary to determine whether you (or your spouse) are able to support yourself and/or whether you are entitled to spousal support.

NOTE: The Court is prohibited by law from offering legal advice.  The information and forms on this website are not intended to be a substitute for good legal advice.

Domestic Relations Court
99 Public Square, 2nd Floor
Medina, Ohio 44256

Phone (330) 725-9740

Medina Domestic Relations Court Hours are:
8:00 am – 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.