Returning to Court (Post-Decree Motions)

You may find yourself returning to Court to modify certain terms of your decree, such as:

  • Child support;
  • Spousal support;
  • Child custody or parenting time;
  • Changing the residential parent for school purposes; or,
  • Modify/terminate a domestic violence civil protection order.

You may also find yourself returning to Court to seek judicial enforcement of prior orders through the Court’s equity powers of contempt, such as:

  • Failing to pay child support and/or unreimbursed medical expenses;
  • Failing to pay spousal support;
  • Failing to allow parenting time;
  • Failing to divide marital property (e.g., sign title to a car, divide a retirement account, or refinance a martial debt such as a mortgage); or,
  • Violating a domestic violence civil protection order.
  • If there has been a substantial change in circumstances (e.g., your income increases/decreases 10% or more; involuntary job loss; change in circumstances of the children; domestic violence; etc.), you will need to review and complete the Motion by checking the applicable boxes and by providing a summary explanation.  A general motion form can be found on the Court’s Rules and Forms page.
  • You will need to file your Motion with the Clerk of Courts.
  • You will also need to provide the Clerk of Courts with Instruction for Service, which can be found on the Court’s Rules and Forms page.
A ‘motion’ is another word for request.  Filing a motion is the proper way to bring something to the Court’s attention.  Typically, a motion includes a request for relief (e.g., reduction in child support), and an explanation as to why the relief sought is appropriate (e.g., involuntary job loss makes it difficult to afford the current child support obligation).
Once you have completed filling out the motion, you must file the motion and the Instructions for Service with the Medina County Clerk of Court, Domestic Relations Division, which is located at 99 Public Square, 2nd Floor, Medina, Ohio.
Depending on the type of motion you file, you must also pay the applicable filing fee at the time you file your motion.
  • Unless your motion is an emergency or you request an expedited hearing, you will have a pretrial scheduled within 2 months from the date you filed the motion.
  • Depending on the type of motion you file (e.g., contempt, modification of custody or modification of child support), the Court will typically hear and resolve your motion in 6-9 months.
  • Contempt is a knowing failure to obey the lawful order of the Court, including but not limited to failing to pay child/spousal support, failing to comply with parenting time/visitation orders, failing to comply with division of property orders, and failing to comply with domestic violence civil protection orders.
  • The person who fails to obey the Court order is known as the ‘contemnor’.
  • If the Court finds the contemnor guilty of contempt, the Court may order the contemnor to pay a monetary fine of $250 to $1,000, and may also order the contemnor to serve thirty (30) to ninety (90) days in jail.
  • If you file a Motion for Contempt (a.k.a. Motion Show Cause), you must also provide the Clerk of Court with a partially-completed Summons and Order to Appear, which can be found on the Court’s Rules and Forms page.

NOTE: The Court is prohibited by law from offering legal advice.  The information and forms on this website are not intended to be a substitute for good legal advice.

Domestic Relations Court
99 Public Square, 2nd Floor
Medina, Ohio 44256

Phone (330) 725-9740

Medina Domestic Relations Court Hours are:
8:00 am – 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.